Sunday, August 30, 2009

"An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one." - Charles Horton Cooley

It's been a while since my first post and I don't plan on that being the standard for this blog. My first post was followed by my craziest (and best!) week of work yet and then a fabulous full week's vacation. I want to post about my absolutely incredible trips soon, but first, art!

I have so many hobbies I want to get into... most of them are right-brained, artistic outlets, and I'm about to get into one of them: painting!

My roommate has several paintings of her own all around the house and I've been begging for her to help me getting started on creating some of my own. I have so many ideas so I find a blank canvas quite daunting. I try to remember, even the most amazing masterpieces started with one stroke of the brush, so I should just get started!

I love how children have such a way of getting ideas on paper and not over-thinking it. One of these amazing child-artists is Marla Olmstead. She started painting at two years old and one of her paintings hangs next to a Renoir. My favorite of hers is called Rose Garden.

Check her amazing website out at www.marlaolmstead.com. You may find it interesting that there is some controversy surrounding Marla. Some say they think her paintings are too advanced for her four years and that her father finishes her paintings. I can't speak to any of that, except that I have no problem believing this little girls created such beautiful work. I love to believe in the existence of raw talent and while I am certainly a truth-seeker at times, the cynicism met by this story disappoints me. If the parents are indeed exploiting their little girl (which I don't believe) they'll end up paying for it in one way or another eventually. In the meantime, call me naive, but I prefer to believe in this miracle.

These two are called Glitter and Ocean, respectively.

Images courtesy of filmmakermagazine.com and abcnews.com.

It's becoming increasingly more obvious that I am drawn to color! I love bright colors and bold colors. I love rich tones and lots of them. My own bedroom has gray walls, and I did that so the colorful accessories and art I stumble upon will pop against them. (Maybe I'll post pics of my space soon...)

So the roommates and I are going to have an art and wine night this week! Yayy! We're going to buy canvases and one of the girls already has paints. I am so excited! I just hope I don't stall when I see all that white.

Wish me luck and stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment