Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shock Therapy: Shock of Orange


Orange? One of my least favorite colors. I never wear it. It seems harsh on my eyes. But at the same time, I must admit that I have seen it done well. So well, in fact, that I might be changing my mind. (Gasp!) Check out some of the most convincing spaces I've found...

Kathryn Ireland's house inspires me so much. Again, love that architecture, but I love how she's made it feel so cozy and earthy. Obviously, I also love her textiles that are peppered throughout.
Living room above is Kathryn Ireland's

Robin Lester's Sneak Peek on Design Sponge

Okay, I know I'm supposed to be observing the great orange-related choices, but I can't take my eyes of that black and white bathroom. Love it!
Gramercy Park Residence designed by Robert Passal via Decorati

Sweet little seating nook here in muted tones. Makes me feel like I'm in a desert... in a good way. Think she uses the concealed corner behind the door for storage? I would!
Image from Stacey Sargent of Love and Photographs on Design Sponge

Here they used an Ikea fabric as a table cloth. This is a creative use of an affordable textile. Injecting personality into your space does not have to cost an arm and a leg.
Outdoor space from the Sneak Peek of Anna of Dutch Door Press via Design Sponge

I'm obsessed with this whole house below. The entire house is like nothing I've seen done before. They took my favorite type of architecture and just made it through-the-roof-cool. Note the bold choices of colors in the big pieces like this sofa. So brave!
Living room of Ramin Shamshiri of Commune, via Design Sponge

Mostly black and white can easily handle a small shot of orange. (Orange fur, no less!)
Upper East Side Apartment designed by Diego Garcias, via The Glamourai

A kitchen this sleek needs a jolt of whimsy and personality. The hutch supplies this plus more storage. I dig it.
Image found via Little Green Notebook

Here's a take on the toned-down version of orange, more of a sorbet. These walls and the airy choice for the chandelier beg for a bulky table. The more saturated colors in the pillows keep it from being too sweet as well.
Kitchen from Elle Decor, June 09

The nursery is always a great place to go over the top with a color scheme. Here, just a dash or two of orange are heard loud and clear.
Image from Heather Balliet of Amorology's Sneak Peek on Design Sponge

One of my MOST FAVORITE applications of this color! The juxtaposition of the wallpaper and the patterned curtain is unexpected and to die for. And that framed painting just completes it!
Bedroom designed by Kimberly Ayres, via Decorati

I really like this sweet but energetic bedroom. Another example of many different prints playing well together because of the unifying color scheme. I also love that graphic artwork above the mantel. Oh and under my bed is TOTALLY that clean. Yours too, right?
Bedroom designed by Ellen Hamilton, via Decorati

This space is crisp and clean-feeling which lends itself well to relaxation and bedtime.

Images from Cara of Ore Studio's Sneak Peek on Design Sponge

I love how the gray and white really recede to let the vanity be the showstopper. I still love the lattice too.
Image from Martha Stewart, found via Little Green Notebook

I'm definitely seeing the formula for a successful space that incorporates orange must include natural elements (woods, cork, greenery, leather, wicker) to keep it from being too jarring on the senses. I think I'm turning over a new leaf! Next mission: start small, but incorporate some orange into a space soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment