Monday, September 19, 2011

Get Out of Your Comfort Zone!

I love how all of these spaces have some patina and a lot of personality. These spaces confirm for me that I could never live in a cookie cutter space that looks just like the one next to it. If I had to live in a ho-hum space, I'd make sure the interior styling sang! 

I love these vintage brass light fixtures in a kitchen by Tia Zoldan (design crush!) I also LOVE the black muntins and casings in the windows. So European and cool. I want these even if they are most likely insanely expensive.. 
Kitchen designed by Tia Zoldan, featured on Modern Palm Blog

This is the opposite of cookie cutter. I've enjoyed seeing more accessible bar spaces in interiors recently, no not for the booze factor, but for that old hospitality that was so common in the 50s and 60s (think Mad Men). Not to mention, the bottles add some sparkle and sculpture to a table top and do not take up precious cabinet space. Ha!
Bar set up from Rue via Erin Ever After

If you had asked me five minutes before I found this picture if I like exposed brick, I would have said, "No thanks." I should bite my tongue, because looky here.... I could move right into this space. The antique rug warms up the floor. That couch is perfection and with a fireplace and lots of cushions, you won't be left cold. Built ins and a library ladder? The icing on the cake. (And look, black muntins and casings in the windows again!)
Via pinterest, originally from Apartment Therapy

We've spoken about my love for reading nooks before.... And wallpapering a tiny space is genius. This convo reminds me of a great slideshow on Apartment Therapy on the topic. This trick is not prohibitively expensive and makes that small space special and distinct. 
The Bone Collector via Pinterest

Well, here are some more antlers.... I can't help it. I love them, as seen in this post, and this pin... And I am not over reclaimed wood installed as a feature wall. When these trends are over, I need one of you to take my by the shoulders and give me a good shake because I won't want to let them go. Promise you'll do that for me.

And ya know, black and white stripes are just right up there with the most accessible and hard-to-get-wrong  tricks. It goes with anything!  And while we're talking about black and white stripes, I want to give b&w chevron and zebra print a shout out. Same idea. Neutrals, people! But they are exciting neutrals. Yes.
Two images just above from Katie Bower on Nate Berkus' "House Proud" segment



Happy Monday to you! I hope you have a great week! And since I like to start off the week with a great quote, I had one more thing to add before I take off....

When you're trying to decide between the chevron rug or the beige carpet, between the boring art that could work in a hotel room or quirky ceramic antlers, or between the solid color throw pillow or the b&w striped one, keep this in mind:

Unknown creator on Tumblr. Found via Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment